Program / Project Management | PMO | Training | Mentoring | Blog | News | Free Resources

Rita Mulcahy In Memoriam

Posted on | June 1, 2010 | 49 Comments

I was saddened by the news of Rita Mulcahy’s passing. All of us in the project management profession should be saddened by this premature event. She was not an ordinary person.

Rita Mulcahy

Rita was an international PM trainer and speaker, best-selling PM and PMP author, and founder and CEO of RMC Project Management, Inc. She was a member of PMI and was a past President and Vice-President. Most of all, she was an excellent person who shared her knowledge with the world. That is her legacy.

Thousands and thousands of people around the world learned and expanded their knowledge of project management through her methods and products to further their careers. The training materials she developed to assist people in passing PMI’s PMP certification exams are top rated and many attribute obtaining their PMP certification to her. I am one.

Her products, specially the best-selling PMP Exam Prep book, are one of the most sought after in the project management profession in the world. For professionals of all continents, she simplified the task of studying for what many believe are some of the hardest exams to pass.

Because of her, some of us are more prepared, have higher salaries, and enjoy better job opportunities.

For all Rita has contributed to our profession, I pay my most sincere respects and so should you. Don’t you think so…? Well, I do.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (6 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Email This Article Email This Article

Comments

49 Responses to “Rita Mulcahy In Memoriam”

1. Christian Ruiz
    June 1st, 2010 @ 10:43 am

It is alway’s sad when you lose a person that has made such a valuable contribution to so many people around the world. My sincere condolences go out to the Mulcahy Family.

Sincerely,
    Christian Ruiz

2. Ime Udoko
    June 1st, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Ah! Rita’s gone? what a loss.

Condolence to the entire PM community and especially her immediate family. She was an asset of inestimable value .

3. Onur DURUSOZ, PMP
    June 1st, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Condolences to her family. We as PMPs know that her passing will not only leave a void in Project Management Communities, but in the hearts of all those who knew her. She will never be forget.

4. Mark Hamilton, PMP, CSM, Six Sigma Green Belt
    June 1st, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

RIP Rita. You were truly a special person with a wonderful way of helping others learn complex material. I thank you for helping me and countless others pass the PMP exam. You’ll be missed.

5. Art Pacheco
    June 1st, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Condolences to the Mulcahy Family.

PM World has lost a very valuable and special person in Rita. May rest in peace.

6. Aniruddha Ray
    June 1st, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

My Condolences to the family and all her fans…Rita was a great influence to a lot of us through her phenomenal books and simple but precise guidances in understanding the realities and responsibilities of Project Management

7. Purnima Nath (BE, PMP)
    June 1st, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

I express my deepest sorrow on this news. My sincere condolences to Mulcahy family and entire PM community.

8. Veeresh Shringari
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 12:13 am

My condelence to her family and near one’s, it is great loss to the PM commuity, we have lost the most dynamic contributor ..

9. Satya
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 12:51 am

Oh! God. Just came across the news. I felt someone very close passed away. She was a great contributor, a mentor in the world of project management. She will be sorely missed.

10. Suresh Natarajan
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 1:12 am

Many people say many things about her. But I can say only very simple ‘She is the GREAT’. Her absense will be badly felt by the forth coming PMP aspirants. I convey my deep condolence to her family members. I believe that the vacumn created by her demise is very hard to fill.

11. Muhammad Ali, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 1:19 am

With regret to know about her sad demise, It is certainly a great loss to the whole world. Her contribution to Project Management Studies will always be remembered.

12. Mandar
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 5:35 am

Yes, this is indeed a great loss to PM community. And people like me who got PMP certification studying her book.
    My Condolences to the family

13. Atul
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 8:42 am

My condolences to her loved ones. Rita was remarkable and we will miss her.

14. Sanny Santillana, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 9:05 am

My sincere condolences to her family. Indeed, a great loss to the PM community. A great mentor.

15. Rose Pederneiras, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 9:19 am

It was with a great sense of loss when I heard about her eath. My sincere thoughts and prayers are with her family and this Community.

16. Nelson
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 10:59 am

It has been a great loss for the Project Manager Community. Many of us applied your experiences in our Work field. My condolences to her family.

17. Alberto
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Thanks a lot Rita

You find out an easier way to buid
    With that compulsory thick brick

Farewell

R.I.P.

18. Parin Gangar (PMP, ITIL)
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 11:57 am

Heart-felt condolences to Rita’s family. The complete Project Management Community is at loss. It’s because of Rita’s books and materials that I passed PMP certification. I am sure the aspiring PMP exam takers would miss her.

19. R Rooban Annamalai
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

May her soul rest in peace and it’s a great loss to the entire PM community all over the world.

I pray that God will give her family the strength to get through this very difficult time.

Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.”- Bible

20. Jose Fuentes Colon
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Rita’s contribution to our PM community will always be appreciated. Because I trusted on her methodology of teaching PMP subjects, I feel a better professional PM. Thanks Rita!, I am proud PMP thanks to your help.

My sincere condolences to the Mulcahy family and friends.

21. Kelly
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

So sorry to hear of the family’s loss. My deepest sympathy.

22. Pat Green
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

I’m very sorry to hear of Rita’s passing. Without a doubt, she had a unique talent of making the nebulous clear and for communicating topics in the simplest and clearest terms. I, for one, attribute her PMP prep book as the single most helpful resource that helped me pass the exam. My sincerest condolences to her family and friends.

23. Sandra Powell, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Very sorry to hear of Rita’s passing. She accomplished a lot during her too short life. I have since retired, but recall when our Manager brought Rita in to conduct a class on PMP for his workgroup and many of those individuals became charter members of the Memphis Chapter of PMI. Her prep book was the guide in our studies to pass the exam.

My sincere condolences to Rita’s family and friends.

24. Daryl Seay, RCDD, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Rita’s exam prep materials were highly recommended to me. I followed the advise, and Rita’s rigorous instructions and successfully negotiated a rather rigorous exam. I also, have personally endorsed her materials to others since I became certified. Rita Mulcahy, a professional trainer and a substantial contributor to our Industry, will truly be missed, and not easily forgotten!

25. Vagees Paramasamy, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

My sincere condolences to the Mulcahy family and friends.
    It is Great loss to the PM community. However she will be remembered for her contributions in this field for a long time.

26. David Thompson, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

What a surprise, I feel like Rita helped me through my PMP exam. My best wishes to Rita’s family in this time of sorrow.

27. Piyush John, PMP
    June 2nd, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

It is indeed a loss to the world. Rita has been the face of PMI & the magnamious number of PMP’s across the globle. This unfortunate incident has created a void which cannot be filled in the near future.

Rita will remain in the hearts of all PMP’s till eternity.

28. Mel Prichard
    June 3rd, 2010 @ 1:00 am

A real disaster for the PM world, she has been instrumental for our company personnel undertaking their PMP courses. My commiserations to her family and friends on their sad loss

29. Ahmed Khan Saudagar
    June 3rd, 2010 @ 1:03 am

It is heart-rendering news and I am deeply saddened on the sudden demise of such a great contributor to the world of Project Management. She has left behind her works which benefitted so many thousands of people seeking knowledge, guidance and advancement in their careers. May God rest her soul in peace.

30. Rekha
    June 3rd, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

This was a shocking news. It’s ironic that life should take away someone during the prime of her life.

My deepest condolences to the Mulcahy family.

31. Mike Connell, PMP
    June 4th, 2010 @ 8:05 am

I had the privilege to listen to her speak once and the passion she had for the PM profession just oozed right through the phone lines. I’ll remember that forever as she will be remembered.

This is a huge loss to the PM world and she will be deeply missed but never forgotten.

Thank you for helping me become a PMP!

I personally send my condolences and respect to Rita’s family. Rest in peace and may God bless her so much.

32. Faheem Ijaz
    June 4th, 2010 @ 9:05 am

at this time when i am preparing for PMP using Rita’s study material, i am so carried away by hearing this news. This is indeed a irrepairable loss for all PM students and industry.

33. Geraldo Tonato
    June 4th, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Condolences from Brazil, where Rita’s book and tips helped lots of people in passing PMP’s exam for certification.
    It was a very sad loss.
    God bless her and her family.

34. Piotr Gorny
    June 4th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

Condolences from Poland, too. Rita’s book helped lots of Polish people in passing PMP’s exam for certification. Big loss.

God bless her and her family.

35. Shridhar Patole, PMP
    June 6th, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

It is Great loss to PM community and PMP aspirants throughout the world.
    My sincere condolences to the Mulcahy family and her followers.
    She has been the backbone for successful completion of PMP exam for thousands of people.
    She will be remembered for her contributions in this field for a long time. Her work will inspire and help aspirants for PMP certifications.

36. Gertrude Moeller
    June 7th, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

I have passed the news on to the PMI Memphis Chapter Academic Outreach team.

I found information at this link:

Rita’s project management YouTube videos are worth a look as well.

37. Heidi Baker
    June 8th, 2010 @ 3:06 am

Rita has left her legacy with every one who gleans knowledge of project management from her teachings, writing, and best practices. What an impressive legacy she has left. Her dedication and passion for her practice is forever evident and we are forever indebted to Rita and her family, for sharing her talent, her time, and showing us that “the ultimate goal should be doing your best and enjoying it.” ~Anonymous

38. Ravi Advani
    June 8th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

A real loss to the PM community. Rita was a well known and well respected instructor and thought leader in the PM world.

My condolences to her family.

39. Firoozeh Zahraei
    June 8th, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I was shocked and saddened by the news. RIP Rita. Condolences to the Mulcahy family.

40. Raymond Fessler
    June 8th, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

Such news is always sad and she will be missed but not forgotten. Perhaps in this, Rita’s Closing Phase we should all remember the powerful lessons we have learned. All the best to her family and close friends.

41. Elías Conejo, PMP
    June 9th, 2010 @ 1:03 am

RIP Rita

Her PMP preparation method helped me get my certification two years ago.

This kind of news is never easy to digest, my condolences to her family.

42. Cristopher R. Dayao, CE, PMP
    June 9th, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Rita has made it possible to fill the knowledge gap between actual practioners to the PMBOK. I know because I have benefitted from her works.

I am deeply saddened upon hearing this news and would like to pass on to her family my sincerest condolence.

43. Rakesh Sharma PMP
    June 9th, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Very shocking and sad news for PM community. She was the icon in our community. I used to recommend her study material for all PMP aspirants.

May almighty rest her soul in peace and give strength to PM community and Mulcahy family, to bear this loss.

44. GGilstrap
    June 9th, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Condolences to her immediate family and to her PMP followers. This is a huge loss to future PM’s. She will be greatly missed.

45. Reggie Cooper, PMP
    June 9th, 2010 @ 11:49 am

I am saddend to hear about the passing of Rita. She was a great person and I learned a lot from her books. My condolences go out to her family.

46. Johanna E. Soto-Morales
    June 15th, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

The legacy that Rita left, will keep her among us! We really appreciate your hard work! Rest in Peace.

Johanna E. Soto, PMP- San Juan Puerto Rico

47. Syed Navaid
    June 18th, 2010 @ 1:09 am

She will always be remembered in the community of PMI/PMPs.

I salute her for her contribution and services for the project management world.

48. Laurie Rubin, PMP
    July 2nd, 2010 @ 10:17 am

My condolences to her family. As with many people on this list, Rita’s prep books and CDs helped me pass the PMP exam. She had a wonderful, clear and simple way for us to understand the PMBOK concepts, and how to apply them both in the real world and for testing purposes.

49. Pankaj
    March 16th, 2013 @ 11:53 am

…..terrible loss . Heartfelt deepest condolences

About

Expiriance.com, the worldwide leader in program and project management services, blog, resources, and news.

Follow Expiriance on Twitter

Search

Tags

(7) (7) (2) (5) (3) (2) (4) (5) (7) (2) (7) (2) (4) (4) (2) (5) (5) (9) (2) (2) (2) (16) (2) (2) (15) (2) (8) (2) (3) (6) (4) (2) (5)

Random Articles